Friday, September 12, 2014

Friday, Noonish

This is random.  I am sitting in the shop, reading my Oprah magazine.  A young, African American, guy walks in the door.  Super polite, soft spoken.  He says, "excuse me ma'am, sorry to bother you."  He goes on to tell me a story about he and his girlfriend recently moved here.  He does not have a job yet.  They want to get their kids in the school.  They need to ride the train up to Chicago to get the kids.  Some of what he said I could not hear.  He asked for $5.00.  I did not even hesitate.  I went and got him $10.00 out of my purse.  He shook my hand and thanked me.  He said he would be back around and repay me when he could.  I did not believe his story for a minute.  I have no idea what he wanted the money for.  He was dressed nicely, not shabby in anyway.  Drug addict or drunk did not jump out at me.  I am not sure how he randomly walked in my shop.  I am not on the main drag.  I am the only retail shop on my side of the street.  I watched him walk away.  He had a spring in his step.  He headed away from the train station.  That did not surprise me.  I never believed he was getting on a train.  There is not a train due for hours.  If I had to guess, I would say he went across the street for some food.  I really am not a sucker for everyone with a sob story.  People come in asking for donations for random causes quite often.  I do not automatically give them donations or money.  I have compassion, I just cannot help everyone. What I am saying is there is not a sign outside of my shop that says, Sucker.  I do not think I have been marked by hobos as a safe place for a free meal.  At least, I do not think I have been marked.
In cities people come across people asking for money frequently.  In my little town, that does not happen.  It felt like a test.  I knew it was the right thing to do.  At least today when I gave away money, I have made more than I gave away!

4 comments:

  1. You are good at reading people AND have a good heart, Jane.

    Hockeygram

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was telling my niece the story. It is such an odd thing to happen here. My niece said my Dad had a lady come and ask him for money last week. He gave it to her because what's $5.00 to him. He wastes more than that all the time. I thought the same thing when I gave the money. Guess we think the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ironcially, you do sell suckers. so maybe that is the confusion.
    #imsuperinsightful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really Arizona, you just read this post!!

    ReplyDelete