Friday, November 7, 2014

Verediane

She came in when a shared friend asked me if I would like to sell her books out of my shop.  I had been looking for the book so it was an easy yes.  She brought in a few books and we chatted a few minutes.  She is a small lady, a beautiful accent, quiet spoken.  I started reading her book immediately.  It was a small book and a very quick read.  The question still is shocking to think how she went from growing up to Rwanda to living in our village.  I enjoyed the book.  Wished she had written more details and made it much longer.
The next time she came in my shop, I wanted to hug her.  I no longer say the same person.  She is still small.  She just appears like a giant in my mind.  It is odd to read something to personal about a person and then meet her.  I told her I enjoyed her book.  We had an awkward conversation.  I gave her money for the book, she was on her way.
Today she stopped in again.  We decided she will stop in weekly.  I tried to convey to her how she appears like a hero to me now.  I said I feel awed by what she lived through.  She said it was just her life.  I told her after reading the book I was overwhelmed by what she had lived through.  I said she was like a hero, bigger than life.  She laughed.  She said it was just what she had to do.  She had to keep them safe.  I said being a Mom.  She said yes, yes.  That was always on her mind.  
We are starting to get to know each other.  She said she has not worked since she came here.  She has siblings still in Rwanda.  She does not know if she will ever be able to go visit them.  She said she left the sadness there.  She does not know if she could face it there.  Her siblings live poorly.  They did not have the opportunity to attend college.  They live off the land.  She said not in a good way.  It is more desperate.  She said it is like they live in hell, she lives in heaven.  She said a few times this is heaven.  She said she thinks that there is probably such a sadness with the people there.  The sadness will keep them from having the strength to aspire to have more.  They are worn down.
I told her it was the first book I read about Rwanda.  She asked if I watched the movie Hotel Rwanda.  I said no.  She said she did not want to watch it.  Her book is called, You Are Not Alone.  I asked her if it was her faith that guided her.  She said, yes.  She believes everything happens for a reason.  She was meant to live through it and be here.  She was meant to write the story to help people understand.  Verediane tells her story in a positive way.  No anger.  Matter of fact.  That was her life and what she endured. 
I look forward to my weekly visits with Verediane.  She asked how I opened a candy store.  We talked that everyone has a story.  Some stories are just more powerful.  We will slowly get to know each other.  The people that walk in the door!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment